Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zasadny-Customized .20 Rapid Mk2 on the way!

Falconer Guest

Default Zasadny-Customized .20 Rapid Mk2 on the way!

To kick-off this post, a big "Thank You!" is in order for 2 long-time members of this forum: McMike and MarvC.........it was MarvC's words of encouragement regarding a dive-shop that would gladly fill 4500 psi tanks (the 88 cu. ft. carbon-fiber model) located in either Carrollton, Addison or Farmers Branch, Texas (can't recall exactly which suburb MarvC mentioned at the moment). I live in Lewisville, TX, so it's a quick drive to any of those cities for air.....

McMike and I conversed back and forth on this Forum several times a couple years ago (I went by "HW100FAN" in those days) regarding top-end PCP's.....I had it narrowed down to either a HW100, an Air Arms EV-2, a Steyr LG-110HP or a Theoben Rapid Mk2 FAC in .20 caliber.....

Well, I'm happy to report I finally "got off the dime" and just 3 weeks ago, ordered the following rifle from world-class PCP air rifle shooter and modifier/customizer Allen Zasadny. Allen and I had a great conversation for over an hour and these are the spec's for my rifle:

1) Theoben Rapid Mk2 FAC in .20 caliber
    2) Walnut, right hand stock
    3) Two-stage, Mk 4 trigger tuned by Allen to break at 3 1/2 ounces (same as my old FWB-300)
    4) Tuned for 940 fps with 14.3 grain, .20 caliber Crosman Premiers (28 fpe)
    5) Buddy-bottle modified with custom AZ Quick-Fill (no unscrewing bottle to re-fill)
    6) Custom, full-length barrel shroud with full moderation (absolutely whisper quiet)
    7) Scope receiver-grooves custom-machined into receiver
    8) Bushnell Elite 4200 6 x 24 Scope dialed-in with range settings marked, plus ring-mounts
    9) 88 cu. ft. carbon-fiber tank, 4500 psi (with all required fittings/gauges)

Allen called me just 3 days ago. He had just come in the house from dialing-in my rifle at 50 yards after getting all modifications completed. He said it was "unbelievably accurate". He had just put about 300 pellets down the barrel (after custom re-crowning and re-choking), and said his best 10-shot group at 50 yards (bench-rested, of course) measured 3/8" outside-to-outside!! With .20 caliber pellets, that's a mind-blowing .175" center-to-center at 50 yards (at an average velocity of 940 fps!)
    He said the typical 10-shot group was right at 1/2" o-t-o.....which is still .30" c-t-c in .20 caliber!

Allen also installed a regulator in the rifle (which, unlike the MFR model, does not come standard with a reg). He said I would get about 80 shots per-fill before the rifle came off-reg. Ya just gotta love that 400cc bottle!! It may not look real purty, but it sure does hold a ton of air!

My decision to go with the Theoben Rapid Mk2 came down to the famous durability of these rifles and the fact that there are very few instances of problems with Theoben rifles compared to many high-end PCP's. Plus, McMike's great review of his own Theoben PCP! When I saw the pic's of the group-sizes McMike was getting at 60 yards from his Theoben were even tighter than his HW100 groups, that was the clincher for me!

It would be PERFECT if the Rapid had the same superb magazine/cocking-mechanism as the HW100, but I guess we can't have everything!

So that's about it, fella's! Allen said the rifle, scope and tank should be arriving in a week or so. I ordered 8 boxes (5,000 rounds) of .20 caliber Premiers 3 days ago from SS and will wash, clean and weigh them. (I know....it's prolly not necessary.....but I'm so pumped-up right now, it will give me something to do!)

So, MarvC and McMike and all you other fellow airgun fanatics...do you think I made the right choice? Got a feeling my .177 blue-laminate HW97K may see quite a bit of "down-time" in the case for awhile!

Richard
    Last edited by Falconer; 09-18-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Ambush Hunter Guest

Default Re: Zasadny-Customized .20 Rapid Mk2 on the way!

Congrats, Richard!!!

The only thing I do not like on Rapids is their magazines. Why couldn't they be as simple as HW100 or S-410 mags? You have to wind it to cock the spring and if you don't do it right, it won't cycle.

Oh, I believe there is a part #10 that you forgot: CAMO job :-)

Falconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush Hunter View Post
    Congrats, Richard!!!

The only thing I do not like on Rapids is their magazines. Why couldn't they be as simple as HW100 or S-410 mags? You have to wind it to cock the spring and if you don't do it right, it won't cycle.

Oh, I believe there is a part #10 that you forgot: CAMO job :-)

WOW!! I guess I did forget #10!!!!

That digital-camo pattern looks fantastic! I've seen lots of camo'ed air rifles, but that takes the cake!

Gotta ask, AH.....who did the great camo-job on that Rapid and what was the cost?
    Last edited by Falconer; 09-18-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Smilin' Kev Guest

WOW! Sounds like you've really got a dream-come-true on its way to you, Richard. Congratulations!

However, I'm not so sure that I would add the fantastic camo job that AH has on his rifle. It looks great, sitting there in an open area . . . but if I had it in the woods, walked away from it more than a few steps, and got distracted - well, I woud never be able to find it! [Of course, I could just call in a local crop duster to defoliate my patch of forest . . . and then pick up the rifle in 2-3 weeks. Or, even better, I could permanently attach a LoJack transmitter to the rifle's stock . . . and use the GPS system to track it down. ]

Falconer Guest

Thanks for your kind words, Smilin' Kev!

I mentioned in my original post that my one and only springer is an HW97K in .177. I see in your signature that you own a Theoben SLR-98 in .22...

I assume you really like that rifle? Although I truly enjoy my HW97K, I was considering selling it and getting a 12-13 ft. lb. SLR-98 in .177.....although the SLR-98 is approaching Whiscombe-level prices these days, several guys (including Kevin here at SS), say the SLR-98's truly are worth it and a "cut above" any regular springers....

Would you agree?

Then I would be a "pure" Theoben Man! Ha! : )

Ambush Hunter Guest

Richard, I believe it was $300 and was done by Steve from *** The rules of this forum prohibit me mentioning any competitors but I am sure it's clear who I am talking about. That place and the SS are my two main airgun stores. Steve has a professional paint shop close by. Everything had to be disassembled, painted, and reassembled again. Is it a MUST thing? No. I just like digital patterns. Heck, I can wrap the gun with few homemade camo stripes and it will be just as effective...

Ambush Hunter Guest

Moreover, you'd need to lube those pellets, it's a plus for a PCP.
    Did Alan say CPs are the most accurate? Did he test Kodiak?

Falconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush Hunter View Post
    Moreover, you'd need to lube those pellets, it's a plus for a PCP.
    Did Alan say CPs are the most accurate? Did he test Kodiak?
    Yes, Allen said for the .20 caliber Rapid Mk2 (not .22 caliber), the 14.3 grain CP's are, by far, the most consistently accurate pellets. He said he has tested all of the .20 caliber pellets.....the 13.7 grain .20 caliber JSB's were the 2nd-most accurate (but a distant 2nd).....the Theoben factory (in England) also says the .20 CP's are the very best pellet in this caliber for their PCP rifles...

However, in .22 caliber, in may well be the Kodiaks which perform the best....

Allen is also a big fan of "One Lube" for pellet lube, so I'll be getting some of that, as well....

mcmike Guest

Richard,

Wow! I'll say you "got off the dime"! I am really excited for you. I'm still shooting my Rapids and my HW100 and still loving them! I think one of the things I like best about the Rapids is that once you get used to them you can easily work on them yourself. I recently got a wild hair and bought a .177 caliber barrel and probe and put them on my MFR. It took maybe a half hour and now I have a rifle that will shoot better than I can in two calibers.

Please post pictures and your thoughts of that beauty when she arrives. I have a sneaking suspicion that you are going to make me green with envy.

Best wishes and congratulations on your new rifle, you went straight to the front of the class!

Mike

Falconer Guest

Hi Mike,

Yes, I'm really excited, too....can't wait for that box(s) to arrive!

You touched on one of the primary reasons I tilted in favor of getting the Rapid, and that is the fairly simplified internal design that allows the owner to work on most issues that may pop-up with the rifle. I really didn't want a rifle that would need trips back to the factory (or back to Allen) so, like you said, the Rapid seemed to be the best route to take....

I came VERY CLOSE to ordering an Air Arms EV-2 Mk4 simply for the slight accuracy edge I thought it might have inside 30 yards (I recalled how you said your EV-2 was your most accurate air rifle, bar none....) But since most of my shooting is tree-squirrel hunting (big fox squirrels), I figured FAC power-level was the better route to take...

When it arrives, I'll post pic's when/if I can figure out how to do that.....never have tried it before! : (

Mike, Allen mentioned an aerosol, spray-mist lube called "One Lube".....he said he has used it on his pellets for years and thinks it is superior to other pellet-lubes out there...do you routinely lube your pellets in your PCP's, also? If so, what is your preferred lube? Apparently, Crosman Premiers have a tendency to lead barrels more than "softer" pellets, so lubing seems to be more necessary with them....

Take care,
    Richard
    Last edited by Falconer; 09-19-2010 at 12:33 AM.