Thread: Removing supressor from Gamo Whisper

La26 Guest

Default Removing supressor from Gamo Whisper

Is it possible to safely remove the Supressor from a Gamo Whisper without damaging the rifle? I like the way the rifle shoots since I have installed the GRT III trigger, but can't stand that ugly thing on the end of the barrel. I have a scope on the rifle, so losing the front sight is a non-issue. I don't want to put the supressor on a different gun, I just want it off mine. It doesn't appear that the pellet touches the supressor in any way, so removing it shouldn't affect the accuracy. Any ideas where I might find info on safely removing it ? I'm sure someone here would know. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by La26; 06-25-2010 at 07:49 PM.

garyn Guest

Default Re: Removing supressor from Gamo Whisper

It is probably made to be VERY difficult to remove, to prevent someone moving it to a power-burning firearm.
    Unless someone has a doable way, the options would be to cut/grind it off, or just leave it alone. I would choose to leave it alone.
    You could have your accuracy affected, as the mass of the suppressor is dampening the vibrations of the barrel.

Ambush Hunter Guest

No, you can't put it on the firearm, it is made of soft material and there is no thread. Besides, it's illegal.
    No, it won't affect accuracy once removed.
    No, it doesn't dump anything, vibration or the sound signature...This so called "sound dumpener" doesn't really work.
    If there are grub screws that hold it in place, remove them and tap that thing off. If none, just leave it alone. Why did you buy the rifle if you don't like the way it's made?
    Last edited by Ambush Hunter; 06-28-2010 at 08:57 AM.

La26 Guest

Ambush Hunter,
    Thanks for your reply. I bought it because I got it dirt cheap. It was the last one the dealer had, and he let me shoot it at his indoor range. It shot really tight groups. The only down side was the supressor thing. To move up to the next rifle without the supressor, it would have cost me over a hundred dollars more because this gun was his display model and last one, and he was waiting for a new shipment to arrive (which turned out to be the Gamos with the plastic triggers, so they aren't able to accept the GRT III triggers). At the price I paid, I guess I can live with it, but I just thought about removing the supressor for cosmetic reasons. If removed, it will be destroyed and not reused in any way to avoid conflicts with the law. I agree with your opinion that it doesn't realy do anything to reduce the noise. I have shot about 1000 pellets through it(Beeman FTS), and the sound has not decreased over use like some posters say it should.

Gamo123 Guest

Talking Re: Removing supressor from Gamo Whisper

I have a Gamo Whisper also, and wanted to remove the silencer because I found out it is restricted where I live.

Measures how far back the actual barrel ended and cut it off there, Didn't seem to notice any inaccuracy, since I never actually cut the barrel. After cutting it I realized that if you pop off the end of the silencer where the pellet exits, you can remove the blue silencer material. Glue the end back on and it should be classed as a muzzle break since there is no silencer material and there is holes in the sides.

Cole125 Guest

I would just sell the Gamo, save some money and buy something a bit better. That silencer on the Whisper is a complete scam, too.

BTW a $8000 Barrett M82A1 is the only firearm you own? Some how I smell BS.

Ambush Hunter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
    BTW a $8000 Barrett M82A1 is the only firearm you own? Some how I smell BS.
    Although I don't believe that such a high caliber preparation ("just in case SHTF") will help him in any way if the S*** does Hit The Fan, I see no valid reason to question the guy's signature

Cole125 Guest

Just giving the guy a hard time. If he really owns a .50 bmg, good for him to practice his 2nd A rights.