Thread: BSA Lightning XL

Ronald jaye Guest

Default BSA Lightning XL

What do you know about the BSA Lightning XL Rifle?

Ronald

HappyCamper Guest

Default Re: BSA Lightning XL

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald jaye View Post
    What do you know about the BSA Lightning XL Rifle?

Ronald
    Ron, really can't figure out why you want a Lightning XL, esp. since your current collection has pretty much covered everything, plus Lightning XL proves to be a lesser gun than any of those in your arsenal..Or get a HW50S if you got money burning in your pocket. HC

Ambush Hunter Guest

Decent gun but there is NO way it will beat R9 in the accuracy department.

Ronald jaye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Ron, really can't figure out why you want a Lightning XL, esp. since your current collection has pretty much covered everything, plus Lightning XL proves to be a lesser gun than any of those in your arsenal..Or get a HW50S if you got money burning in your pocket. HC
    I was told by a friend that I have become an airgun SNOB, Figured I'd proove him wrong!
    Ronald

Parallax Guest

Ron, I was really curious about the Lightening for quite some time but after reading personal review after review after review as well as pestering folks that have them, the HW's, Air Arms and Theobens seem to be much better overall guns. The BSA's seem to be hit or miss in the quality control department(they're owned by Gamo afterall....) and so is finding the 'right' pellet for them. Some have lucked up and gotten nice bores on them and found a high quality pellet that is very accurate with it, but many report not being able to find a good one. More times than not in an HW or Air Arms, the most accurate pellet is also going to be one of highest quality pellets (for example; H&N FTT, JSB's, etc..about 99.9999% of the time it seems) and this doesn't seem to be the case the majority of times you read a review of a Lightening for example. I also keep reading that they can be quite noisy and jumpy in the shot cycle department. Perhaps this is because it's such a small, lightweight rifle that is trying to produce 15 fpe. Either way, I think a Beeman R9/HW95 blows it away in the quality, fit/finish, trigger, barrel and accuracy departments. The Lightening might be a little shorter and a tad lighter, but you can send that R9 off to Paul Watts, have him cut, re-crown, choke the barrel and add a killer shroud to it(and why not go ahead and have him do a full out Advanced Tune on it while it's there!) and when it comes back, the R9 will put the Lightening to shame in every category you can think of for an air rifle(including power) that it won't even be funny. Just my 2 cents.

MarvC Guest

The XL as mention above is lighter and shorter but in overall points it would be best to hang with what you have. The trigger on the XL is nowhere as good as the R9 overall mechanically the gun falls short compared to the R9 and any other guns you presently own. As Parallax mentioned send the money for the BSA purchase to Paul Watts and get the advanced tune on the R9 it will come back and totally blow your mind believing this was the same gun you owned!

Knobs Guest

LOP is about 13 1/2", so it's probably not a good fit for a tall person.

It's the best pointing AG I have and extremely well balanced. ( I'm 5' 10" and i love the fit of the gun) Mine gives up nothing in accuracy to the R-9.

The trigger is not a Rekord, but it's a damn good trigger nonetheless.

It's a painus in the anus for home tuners due to it's scope rail setup, but can be fitted with a gas ram.

It's a love it or hate it gun. Your best bet is to pick one up used and see if you like it. That's the only way you'll know. It's the best excuse to buy another AG I know of. Pick it up at the right price, hang on to it for a while, and it'll probably pay better than a bank CD when you sell it. That way, it's not like you're really spending money on them LOL

I've got one in .22, and I love my R-9's ( all four of them ), but the XL ain't going anywhere.

Knobs
    Last edited by Knobs; 05-16-2010 at 05:49 PM.

The Verminator Guest

I just tried a buddy's gas-rammed .22 Lightning last weekend and found to be an interesting gun. The shot cycle was very nice, the trigger was not!

I often hunt in very dense Florida underbrush where the XL's carbine configuration and light weight can be very advantageous. This isn't a gun that will replace an R9, but with a gas-ram and a pro trigger job, it is a gun that I would hunt with in deep cover. TV