Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

  1. #11

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    At first I thought the title of the thread was "Went to the Dork Side." j/k

    Sticking with my HW90, a bargain compared to the PCPs...even though at this time rabbit slaying has cost $200 per rabbit...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    West Coast , Vancouver
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascilly Wabbit View Post
    At first I thought the title of the thread was "Went to the Dork Side." j/k

    Sticking with my HW90, a bargain compared to the PCPs...even though at this time rabbit slaying has cost $200 per rabbit...
    When they make a .357 springer HW that shoots 750 to 850 fps , I'll be first in line WW :-)
    GIGGLES ;-)
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

  3. #13

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    Might be hard to cock it.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Posts
    357

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    Plan in keeping the iron sights on for in the house protection , figure 7 rounds of .357 outa get the job
    done:-

    Seems like an unlikely house gun unless you are after raccoons and neighborhood cats and dogs!

    Lewis & Clark took a repeating air rifle that was markedly similar to a PCP with them in 1803. It was a 46 caliber shooting round balls. They used it to impress the locals (St. Louis politicians and various Native Americans) until it broke. The Austrian Army had a special unit armed with the same type of air rifle that was effective in the time of muskets and bayonets. (20 shots!) Their enemies would immediately and nastily execute anyone found with one so it was hard to get volunteers for the unit.
    The rifle was invented in the late 1700's by Giranadoni (spelling wrong, I think!) They have been reported to be from 36 - 58 caliber in various articles. Most recent i have seen says 46-48. It took 1500 pumps with a hand pump (wheeze) to charge the tank that also served as the butt stock. Lewis and Clark used a breast pump (no not that kind!) that was attached to the reservoir pushed against a tree and pumped by pushing it against the lucky guy's (a private??) chest to pump it. Very delicate construction and primitive materials made them unsuccessful. But they were the earliest repeating firearm in military service.

    An air rifle played a part in a Sherlock Holmes story too - 36 caliber.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by dtdtdtdt; 07-26-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    Dave Thomas

    Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

    RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    West Coast , Vancouver
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by dtdtdtdt View Post
    Plan in keeping the iron sights on for in the house protection , figure 7 rounds of .357 outa get the job
    done:-

    Seems like an unlikely house gun unless you are after raccoons and neighborhood cats and dogs!

    Lewis & Clark took a repeating air rifle that was markedly similar to a PCP with them in 1803. It was a 46 caliber shooting round balls. They used it to impress the locals (St. Louis politicians and various Native Americans) until it broke. The Austrian Army had a special unit armed with the same type of air rifle that was effective in the time of muskets and bayonets. (20 shots!) Their enemies would immediately and nastily execute anyone found with one so it was hard to get volunteers for the unit.
    The rifle was invented in the late 1700's by Giranadoni (spelling wrong, I think!) They have been reported to be from 36 - 58 caliber in various articles. Most recent i have seen says 46-48. It took 1500 pumps with a hand pump (wheeze) to charge the tank that also served as the butt stock. Lewis and Clark used a breast pump (no not that kind!) that was attached to the reservoir pushed against a tree and pumped by pushing it against the lucky guy's (a private??) chest to pump it. Very delicate construction and primitive materials made them unsuccessful. But they were the earliest repeating firearm in military service.

    An air rifle played a part in a Sherlock Holmes story too - 36 caliber.

    Cheers!
    Seams an unlikely house gun does it to you ?
    Thats an odd statement to me since this thing at house distances will crumple your a$$ :-)
    Funny stuff
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Posts
    357

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    Having trouble visualizing it. A bit long to handle in most rooms was my concern - same problem with a BAR as a house gun.
    How long do they hold pressure? It might be embarrassing to have the pressure down while the perp is there. "Oh wait a minute, I have to pump up my air rifle so I can shoot you????"

    All these problems can be dealt with though.

    I have a Springfield Armory XD tactical with light laser and 13rds of HP 45s for that purpose. For more serious engagements, I have my Zombie Apocalypse shotgun (Rem 870 12 gauge with 13 00 buck and slugs on board.) I would have an over-penetration problem though...that might be less with your choice.


    I will concede a much lower noise level though.


    BIG GRIN

    Have fun!!

    Dave
    Dave Thomas

    Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

    RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lebanon, CT
    Posts
    255

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    Having built many knives, and without any firearms, I made a short, razor sharp harpoon that sits in the br closet. RC

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    West Coast , Vancouver
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by RC1947 View Post
    Having built many knives, and without any firearms, I made a short, razor sharp harpoon that sits in the br closet. RC
    There ya go :-)
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    West Coast , Vancouver
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Went to the Dark Side , Evanix Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by dtdtdtdt View Post
    Having trouble visualizing it. A bit long to handle in most rooms was my concern - same problem with a BAR as a house gun.
    How long do they hold pressure? It might be embarrassing to have the pressure down while the perp is there. "Oh wait a minute, I have to pump up my air rifle so I can shoot you????"

    All these problems can be dealt with though.

    I have a Springfield Armory XD tactical with light laser and 13rds of HP 45s for that purpose. For more serious engagements, I have my Zombie Apocalypse shotgun (Rem 870 12 gauge with 13 00 buck and slugs on board.) I would have an over-penetration problem though...that might be less with your choice.


    I will concede a much lower noise level though.


    BIG GRIN

    Have fun!!

    Dave
    Its a carbine , it can go from 25 to 40" .
    Hold air , how long ?
    Um forever we hope , giggles :-)
    Trust me , my Smith is handy ;-)
    Too funny , lol
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •