Thread: Accuracy of Gamo Fusion Mach 1 .22

Default Accuracy of Gamo Fusion Mach 1 .22

Recently bought new Gamo Fusion Mach 1 .22 And it will not hold the scope setting at 30 yds. I am not new to air guns. Using H&R 18gms, 16 gms, and 15gms. Latest using Gamo Red Tips. I have carefully gone over rifle and tightened all screws. Have stop on back of scope. Replaced gamo scope with Hawke 4-16 x 44. I use rest at 30 yds and adjust to a quarter size grouping. Return the rifle to sit in corner and next day it is 3-4 inches off. Some times up, some times down. Adjust to dead on and same thing 2 days later. I do not believe it is a scope problem. Has anyone had this problem with Gamo guns.

Default Re: Accuracy of Gamo Fusion Mach 1 .22

Not at all familiar with Gamo guns, but I would try using the open sights to see if they're consistently holding the zero at the same distance, which will establish a reference from which to help identify the problem. Let us know the results, and perhaps then we can work to a hopeful solution. RC

Look down the page to my recent post on Gamo experiences. I am not impressed by them.

More to your question. On gta German gun pages there is a long discussion of point of impact changes with a mysterious source. First believed to be mechanical, then temperature related. Lots of doscussion but no clear answer. Last suspect was temperature. Taking rifle from indoors at 70f to outdoors at 90f.

I did a whole series of pellet tests that made me suspicious of some gamo pellets that had big variations in a tin. H&r are much better. I'll reread the poi variation post to see if there are any hints for you there
    Dave Thomas

Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

Followed up on the discussion mentioned above. No new information other than temperature effects seem to be much more dramatic than I would have expected. The guy had similar issues. Shooting great, put it away for a couple days, and the POI shifts dramatically. Many repeats. Problem was not mechanical, he had put a new scope on it but after testing the scope is fine. He was in Alabama where temperature of storage in Air Conditioned house around 70F. Shooting outside at above 90F. Gun warmed up it shot OK.

I also saw a second discussions on Altitude shifts affecting the power and accuracy of springer and pump up air guns a lot. So shooting low altitude and at high altitude might have different POI.

Don't know if either of these are involved in your problem but suggest letting the rifle come to temperature to see if POI returns to original zero. Keep track of POI, accuracy, and temperature for a while to see if it has some effect. If there is a substantial temperature difference between storage place (cool house or basement) versus outdoors, I would shoot 5 shot groups repetitively until the rifle reaches ambient temperature while looking for POI shifts. Many target air gunners and powder shooters go to great lengths to keep temperature under control. Some also shoot several "warm up" shots before competing and adjust the sights if needed. See Hector Medina's blog and website for comments on target shooting.

Also, in my tests of 0.177 pellets the Red tip Gamo didn't do too well in accuracy. That may have some impact too. In addition, each pellet type had it's own POI. Example my rifle's favorite pellet zeroed dead on shooting one hole groups. A test pellet might hit as much as 6" away at 50' because of weight difference and snugness in the bore.
    Dave Thomas

Teach a kid to shoot

Dave,
    With very rare exception do breakbarrel airguns change setting when left alone. It may happen to a pcp with a free floating barrel but not a breakbarrel gun.

Let's start with the assumption you have a Gamo, not the most accurate gun ever made but your groupings when it is functionally properly indicate you have a good one and your groups may tighten up with some practice.

Next would be the pellets. You may need to try several different round headed pellets or pellets with different weights to bring more consistency to your groups.

Lets assume the gun, scope and pellets are functioning properly that only leave one other weak point in your shooting experience.

Over the years I have heard this problem many times and the most common error is technique. Spring and gas piston guns require a very consistent mind set. Everything you do must be repeated exactly to get good groups.

First examine your rest. If you are using a hard sandbag then put something soft between it and the gun. A rolled up towel works fine. Next make sure that the gun is rested in exactly the same position each time. I like to start with my rest just several inches in front of the trigger guard. As I am sighting in a gun I can then move it forward to find the best point of balance for each gun. If your gun is off just a little from it's original sight in position the gun will bounce differently and you will get vertical stringing. Vertical stringing is where your pellet hits high and low of the intended mark forming a vertical line.

Next is how you sit behind the gun. This may sound crazy but your actual sitting position Influences how the gun moves when it fires. The position it rests in your shoulder will influence how you absorb the recoil and how the rifle moves when you fire. You can test your shooting position by taking several shots until you are happy with the group then set the rifle down and walk away (I mean actually get up from your chair and walk away). Come back sit down and shoot again. Is the pellet hitting in the same spot as before or has it's point of impact changed? I have noticed when I sight in rifles that once it is hitting where I want it to and go down range to put up the targets that I will need to waste a couple of targets just getting my position back to how I was sitting when I sighted in the rifle.

Finally never never adjust your scope until you have taken several shots and got back into the grove of shooting. We all pick up a gun after a hard days work or mowing the lawn and expect it to hit in the same spot as the last time we shot. Everything being equal it will but things are never equal and you need to calm down adjust your mind and breathing to achieve the desired results.

None of these things may work but consistent technique is the hardest things for shooters to achieve and will solve many problems.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Craig
    Straightshooters.com

Craig,

Thanks for the education, I hope it is helpful to the original questioner.

The other comments I referred to were on the GTA German Gun Gate site.

I personally have not experienced the zero shift on shooting on various days. I prefer the RWS and FWS recoilless systems and rarely shoot a break-barrel. When I had a Walther break barrel (Chinese knockoff??) I had some similar problems but worked on my technique as you suggest. I have had to shoot a couple shots to "limber" up my eye and the rifle before going after my real target but have not had any significant problems.

The idea of temperature variation as small as the other shooters reported seems unlikely to me. The guy reporting altitude variations did a whole series of tests shooting at 4000, 7000, and 10000 feet above sea level. Quite interesting but not likely to be significant to most shooters. I rather doubt that it has anything to do with the problem he is having. Temperature may but as noted seems unlikely.

Dave
    Dave Thomas

Teach a kid to shoot

My experience of shooting my springers - rifles and pistols - in the Sun is that they will diesel noticeably, especially with the nose, and that does seem to have an effect on consistent accuracy. RC

RC,
    You would be correct on the heat.
    We have found heat and cold will give a springer problems by either thinning out the lubricants or thickening them and this will change the velocity and the point of impact.
    Craig
    Straightshooters.com

I once had a scope wrecked by my R1's robust recoil. It sounds exactly like what you are describing. The Hawke just infact may be a lemon. As mentioned earlier, remove it and use the iron sights. Ill bet the groups tighten up immensly. You might want to try some H&N pellets as well as JSB. Frankly it sounds like your scope internals are faulty.

Doc