Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any new projects anyone ?

Default Any new projects anyone ?

Just been busy building my Hot Rod QB78 on the Walnut Logun platform . Looking real nice .
    Got the HP Valve and Bolt Probe installed and test fired , success it doesn't leak , LOL .
    Went from 56 regulated shots before drop off , down to 34 .
    Pushing just over 800 fps with Meisterkugelns Rifle ammo..
    That's very respectable for a 20 to 30 yard Head Shot Bunny Whacker 💕
    Waiting on my Side Wheel Scope and Muzzle Brake now in mail , will post pics late next week of this incredible sexy rifle.
    OK , so what is everyone else doing , good Lordy its slow on this Forum ?
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

Default Re: Any new projects anyone ?

Things have been pretty quiet for me in the past month or two.

Chipmunk season is upon us so I will be getting back into sniper mode. I saw my first one of the year, yesterday. Since I am dog-sitting my son's Pug and have my own dachshund they have been in the backyard terrorizing the local critters. It will have to settle down mid-week when the Pug is gone. Then I get my chance.

I had an interesting experience this week. At my pistol club, a member was sighting in his new GAMO with a selection of 5 different pellets. The best he could do was 2" groups at 50'. I think I could have bought it for $10 at that point but I don't need a POS. I took him aside and checked his rifle out with him. I shot some groups with Gamo Platinum (lead-free) pellets that were one-holers at the same range. I set him down and coached him in the artillery hold and the idiosyncrasies of air rifle shooting. As a new air gunner, he had never heard of any of that. A 100 pellets later, he was shooting 1/2" groups and when home happily to terrorize the starlings in his yard.

When out to the lounge to BS and drink coffee, ANOTHER member asked me to help him with his GAMO. So Monday AM, I'll see what I can do to help him.

I think this is partially a problem with GAMO's high velocity push that puts cheap high energy springers out there that are hard to shoot. I wonder how many are shot once and put in the corner because of this kind of thing. I also wonder how many people give up on air rifles altogether for the same reason.

By the way, I don't like break-barrels in general and non-recoil assisted air rifles because of the artillery hold issue. I shoot the RWS 54 and FWB 300 exclusively. DON'T get upset anyone it is my privilege to NOT like something that others love....
    Last edited by dtdtdtdt; 05-13-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    Dave Thomas

Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

Quote Originally Posted by dtdtdtdt View Post
    Things have been pretty quiet for me in the past month or two.

Chipmunk season is upon us so I will be getting back into sniper mode. I saw my first one of the year, yesterday. Since I am dog-sitting my son's Pug and have my own dachshund they have been in the backyard terrorizing the local critters. It will have to settle down mid-week when the Pug is gone. Then I get my chance.

I had an interesting experience this week. At my pistol club, a member was sighting in his new GAMO with a selection of 5 different pellets. The best he could do was 2" groups at 50'. I think I could have bought it for $10 at that point but I don't need a POS. I took him aside and checked his rifle out with him. I shot some groups with Gamo Platinum (lead-free) pellets that were one-holers at the same range. I set him down and coached him in the artillery hold and the idiosyncrasies of air rifle shooting. As a new air gunner, he had never heard of any of that. A 100 pellets later, he was shooting 1/2" groups and when home happily to terrorize the starlings in his yard.

When out to the lounge to BS and drink coffee, ANOTHER member asked me to help him with his GAMO. So Monday AM, I'll see what I can do to help him.

I think this is partially a problem with GAMO's high velocity push that puts cheap high energy springers out there that are hard to shoot. I wonder how many are shot once and put in the corner because of this kind of thing. I also wonder how many people give up on air rifles altogether for the same reason.

By the way, I don't like break-barrels in general and non-recoil assisted air rifles because of the artillery hold issue. I shoot the RWS 54 and FWB 300 exclusively. DON'T get upset anyone it is my privilege to NOT like something that others love....
    Exactly right Dave , you do NOT have to like anything anyone else likes :-)
    That's one thing that attracted me to this Forum years ago , no scolding ever gotten for shooting anything I choose ��
    The other Forums I do not go , can't stand the people bashing everyone ;-(
    I agree , the 54 is awesome :-)
    I like my Gas Guns too , but not fond of PCP , go figure :-)
    We finally moved to Olympia , yay , so beautiful here .
    Look forward to getting out this year and shooting .
    Good luck on your Chipmunks .
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

Yes, The purists can be a pain.

I haven't been in Olympia (well not the one in Washington, I have been in the one in Greece though!) My visits up that way were incredible, beautiful, green, and relatively cool. The Hoh Rain Forest was very impressive.

Hope you enjoy it!

My first exposure to anything above the Red Ryder was a Daisy imported FWB300 in the early 1970s. I got to shoot it one afternoon It impressed me so much that I bought one when I could afford one and found one. My next was a Walther / Chinese made break barrel that really didn't do well at all. I spent a lot of effort trying to get it to shoot to my standards without success. I finally found a RWS54 used. IT has been great. I thought about a PCP but decided that I didn't need another pile of toys for as little as I shoot them.

Cheers
    Dave Thomas

Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

Lightbulb Re: Any new projects anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by dtdtdtdt View Post
    Yes, The purists can be a pain.

I haven't been in Olympia (well not the one in Washington, I have been in the one in Greece though!) My visits up that way were incredible, beautiful, green, and relatively cool. The Hoh Rain Forest was very impressive.

Hope you enjoy it!

My first exposure to anything above the Red Ryder was a Daisy imported FWB300 in the early 1970s. I got to shoot it one afternoon It impressed me so much that I bought one when I could afford one and found one. My next was a Walther / Chinese made break barrel that really didn't do well at all. I spent a lot of effort trying to get it to shoot to my standards without success. I finally found a RWS54 used. IT has been great. I thought about a PCP but decided that I didn't need another pile of toys for as little as I shoot them.

Cheers
    Indeed , the Hoh Rain Forest in the Olympic National Park is Dinosaurific , Ancient in every way :-) Been many times , LaPush , Shi Shi , my surrogate Tribe lives there . Been a resident of Washington STATE since 18 , 51 now , guess I luv it , and I do .
    My 1st experience with any airgun was a Diana 35 , so I got spoiled real quick , and I was very young , it was Dads . When he bought us a Daisy pee shooter BB gun , I didn't think it was a funny joke :-)
    The 35 became mine after some serious haggling with my two older brothers , and am sure I sold my soul for it .
    Been a Springer person ever since . C02 also , once again from very young pistolero experiences with Crossman .357 and Daisy Peacemakers ...
    I have the one PCP , the Hatsan 44 Long , a fine Rifle , but it sits in the safe :-(
    Something about self contained guns makes me tick :-)
    Pellets and Beef Jerky and out the door baby !
    And I can shoot Springers very well , so that isn't an issue...
    I have an older RWS/Diana 320Mag that I have put thousands of rounds through , and its nearly 20 years old , not one hiccup on that gun all these years and countless Rabbits under its belt . You cannot say that about ANY PCP :-)
    If I have a pride in my collection , its the 54 with Leupold Scope . Then the HW's , Walther's , Cometa Premiere and so on . All I know now is that I love airguns , ALL of um :-)
    Cheers Dave
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

No projects here, though I have zeroed my new Norica Black Eagle at 25 yds. and have moved several small tin cans around the yard. Next, I'll move out to 45 yds. After struggling to remove the plastic sound moderator, I installed a steel muzzle brake. Excellent shooter. RC

Quote Originally Posted by RC1947 View Post
    No projects here, though I have zeroed my new Norica Black Eagle at 25 yds. and have moved several small tin cans around the yard. Next, I'll move out to 45 yds. After struggling to remove the plastic sound moderator, I installed a steel muzzle brake. Excellent shooter. RC

Pretty Rifle .
    How you liking your new bench rifle , the HW97 ?
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

So far, I've shot the Norica more than the heavy 97. Once I pick up the 97 and shoot outside, I'm sure that I'll be spending a lot of time with it. I don't expect any difference accuracy-wise between the two. Norica makes serious air rifles; I now own 3 of their superb shooters. Looking forward to seeing your new creation. RC

Question Re: Any new projects anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by RC1947 View Post
    So far, I've shot the Norica more than the heavy 97. Once I pick up the 97 and shoot outside, I'm sure that I'll be spending a lot of time with it. I don't expect any difference accuracy-wise between the two. Norica makes serious air rifles; I now own 3 of their superb shooters. Looking forward to seeing your new creation. RC
    Spain , can put out very nice work . Gamo isn't a good example though :-)
    My $440 Cometa , and your Norica , fine examples , LOL ....
    My Dad had the Hunter Pro Gamo back in 2000 and it shot real good though ? But , once again , spendy .
    All I know for sure is my Fusion Premier Star Cometa is a fine gun , so glad I bought it . One of the prettiest rifles ever made too IMHO .
    Yes , the HW97 is Pig Heavy with scope :-)
    But a fine gun nonetheless . I got tired of bench shooting my 97 because all underlevers are a bitch off the bench , picking um up off the rest to cock every dang time , and the 97 is a Monster . Kinda what inspired the purchase of the RWS Air King for me , a breeze off the bench :-)
    The joys and woes of airgunning my friend :-)
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

Once I spend some time with a gun I usually for a system for cocking and loading. Think I'll zero the 97 tonight, and perhaps a little game with the cans. RC