Thread: New Beeman HW97

Default New Beeman HW97

Since I spend most of my shooting time with pistols, it's been about 4 years since I bought an air rifle. I received this one from Kevin last night, well after dark. I unboxed it, checked it over, and shot a number of different pellets through it, and so far, it really likes JSB 8.4 gr Exacts. RC

Default Re: New Beeman HW97

I've tested a fair number of pellets, though I'm shooting from only 8m. Still, if a pellet won't group well at that range it would be a waste of my time to think it would improve once I start shooting longer distances outside. My particular rifle isn't all that fussy about pellets or hold, and the breech is a snug fit with all the pellets I've tried. I was hoping that my inexpensive Norica Hammers (domed) would work as well as they do in my P-1. Nope, they're the worst I shot. It does well with H&N Sport, FTT, Spitzkugel, JSB 8.44 Exacts, RWS MeisterK Rifle, and Supermags. The FTT, JSB and Supermags the best. It's an exceptionally accurate shooter with the right pellet. It's hefty, but since all my shooting is from a rest, that's a plus. Looking forward to the warmer weather. Very pleased with this beauty. RC

Lightbulb Re: New Beeman HW97

Quote Originally Posted by RC1947 View Post
    I've tested a fair number of pellets, though I'm shooting from only 8m. Still, if a pellet won't group well at that range it would be a waste of my time to think it would improve once I start shooting longer distances outside. My particular rifle isn't all that fussy about pellets or hold, and the breech is a snug fit with all the pellets I've tried. I was hoping that my inexpensive Norica Hammers (domed) would work as well as they do in my P-1. Nope, they're the worst I shot. It does well with H&N Sport, FTT, Spitzkugel, JSB 8.44 Exacts, RWS MeisterK Rifle, and Supermags. The FTT, JSB and Supermags the best. It's an exceptionally accurate shooter with the right pellet. It's hefty, but since all my shooting is from a rest, that's a plus. Looking forward to the warmer weather. Very pleased with this beauty. RC
    Congratulations RC , fine Rifles , mine was in .20 .
    Shot JSB Dome fabulous . Did well on Preditor Ballistic Tips too .
    Its just a fine shooting rifle period , and it can reach out there too , accurately .
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

And here I was thinking I was talking to myself. Thanks Kelly. Yes, impressive accuracy. Have you begun the work to fit that nice stock you posted? RC

Exclamation Re: New Beeman HW97

Quote Originally Posted by RC1947 View Post
    And here I was thinking I was talking to myself. Thanks Kelly. Yes, impressive accuracy. Have you begun the work to fit that nice stock you posted? RC
    Ha ha , yes , still a bit slow around here ain't it :-)
    I check in all the time to read .
    Nope on the Hot Rod build just yet , too busy with this move now , March 17th we bolt from here , then I start school on May , so not sure when life will let me play again ?
    We ended up renting a Town House for a year till I finish school , then hope to get into property .
    Hope your doing fabulous RC ...
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

i read your post too and saw your pretty toy.

I suggest getting the Sampler Pac of pellets from Straightshooters and testing them all before settling on the "one."

I put over 50 different pellets through my RWS54 a couple years ago. Quite instructive. I have also done a smaller test of lead-free pellets that was pretty disappointing. Right now, my scientist urges are high and I am gathering a whole bunch of non-lead pellets for an extensive test with two rifles (FWB300 and RWS54.) Given the number (about 24) and extensive tests I am planning, I expect a couple months of playing.

Cheers and have fun with your new toy.
    Dave Thomas

Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

Quote Originally Posted by dtdtdtdt View Post
    i read your post too and saw your pretty toy.

I suggest getting the Sampler Pac of pellets from Straightshooters and testing them all before settling on the "one."

I put over 50 different pellets through my RWS54 a couple years ago. Quite instructive. I have also done a smaller test of lead-free pellets that was pretty disappointing. Right now, my scientist urges are high and I am gathering a whole bunch of non-lead pellets for an extensive test with two rifles (FWB300 and RWS54.) Given the number (about 24) and extensive tests I am planning, I expect a couple months of playing.

Cheers and have fun with your new toy.
    I always thought it was hazardous to your health to be shooting under 7 gr pellets in high octain powerplants , especially the Air King ?
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

Perhaps if I was a hunter concerned about clean kills and whatnot I would try more pellets, but as it is, I only shoot paper and tin cans for my enjoyment. I have thousands of pellets of different brands, styles, and weights, especially in .177 cal., and I'm quite satisfied to find those I already have on hand which shoot with the accuracy I require. In other words, I'm only competing with myself to shoot as accurately as I can with what I have, and a pellet that the gun and I will, on a good day, put 20 pellets into a nearly perfect grouping is good enough for me. My main pet peeve with pellets has to do with the anemic selection of those in .20 cal. H&N, who made the majority of available pellets, discontinued, without warning (at least as far as I know), the bulk of their line leaving us shooters of .20, particularly of pistols, to use pellets with less accuracy than what was available before. Bummer

I've also read that very light pellets shouldn't be continually used in powerful springers, though I've never read a definitive statement of fact. RC

I made a vow to myself with my R1, nothing lighter than HN FTTs. I used to shoot silverbears, nice high muzzle velocity (lousy accuracy) but what concerned me was the feeling that I wanted a heavier pellet for the piston to work against. Less abrupt firing cycle. Does it help? don't know honestly, but I like the rcyra cushion it offers the piston head at the end of its travel. Ill bet the spring lasts longer.

Doc