Thread: Life Expectancy of a PCP rifle?

Unhappy Life Expectancy of a PCP rifle?

I purchased a USED PCP rifle (FX) back in 2001 at a bargain price of $350 and shot it about 3000 rounds over the next 5 years and the valves went out. I sent It back and it cost me $350 for new valves. Over the next 8 or 9 years I shot it maybe 2000 more shots. Then a few years ago the gun had a mechanical problem not relating to the valves and I got it fixed for about $150. After I got it back I shot maybe another 1000 rounds. Last night, I went to shoot it again and it did not want to cooperate going into battery - seating a pellet. I jammed it forward and the valves blew out again. I just can't imagine spending another $350 replacing the valves. So far I am out $850 on this rifle and have shot it 6000 shots. Do I have a lemon rifle or do PCP rifles have a limited lifespan (rust perhaps)? Should I get it fixed again or just write it off?
    Thanks much! So frustrating!!!!

Default Re: Life Expectancy of a PCP rifle?

I can't help, but I'll bump your post so that someone else might see it and respond - good question! RC

Can anyone help? Is this just bad luck for me or do I have a beef?
    Thanks!

Buying used guns is always a crap shoot. Some are good, many simply...aren't. And some brands or models tend to have more problems than others. That's the way it's always been
    and I doubt it will ever change. It's always hard to tell when buying one because there isn't any real way to find out if the model you're looking at has a "history" of problems or not.
    Somebody always posts a gripe or two about every model and brand but that doesn't give any context of how many were sold and how many have had a problem. It's a tough thing but
    again, there is a reason why we (Straight Shooters) have never taken a trade-in in 20 years. For just the reasons you're posting about.
    Kevin
    straightshooters.com

16 YEARS OF SERVICE on a used PCP! (See KevinG note) Even with repairs sounds pretty good. $850 including the gun for that long doesn't sound bad to me.

Time for a new one or repairs and taking care to be gentle with the old beast? Read up and learn to replace seals yourself?

" Last night, I went to shoot it again and it did not want to cooperate going into battery - seating a pellet. I jammed it forward and the valves blew out again."
    Dave Thomas

Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

we (Straight Shooters) have never taken a trade-in in 20 years. For just the reasons you're posting about.

Probably a smart move. RC

Lightbulb Re: Life Expectancy of a PCP rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruizer Bill View Post
    I purchased a USED PCP rifle (FX) back in 2001 at a bargain price of $350 and shot it about 3000 rounds over the next 5 years and the valves went out. I sent It back and it cost me $350 for new valves. Over the next 8 or 9 years I shot it maybe 2000 more shots. Then a few years ago the gun had a mechanical problem not relating to the valves and I got it fixed for about $150. After I got it back I shot maybe another 1000 rounds. Last night, I went to shoot it again and it did not want to cooperate going into battery - seating a pellet. I jammed it forward and the valves blew out again. I just can't imagine spending another $350 replacing the valves. So far I am out $850 on this rifle and have shot it 6000 shots. Do I have a lemon rifle or do PCP rifles have a limited lifespan (rust perhaps)? Should I get it fixed again or just write it off?
    Thanks much! So frustrating!!!!
    Look at like this .
    What you've spent and are going to spend doesn't even put a dent in what I spend in a single year on AMMO for my powder burners :-)
    All those years of enjoyment , several thousand shots , that's a bargain !
    Just part of the game . Learn to work on your own stuff . Or just gonna have to do my favorite saying , suck it up butter cup :-)
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith