Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW90 Diaries

Default Re: HW90 Diaries

7/28 Same rabbit in backyard. 35 yards. Miss.

Starting to feel old and stupid at this point. Two misses in a row...rabbit didn't even move! This shot was taken from the ground instead of back porch. Snuck around to other side of house for good sight line...40 yards...MISS!

THREE MISSES IN A ROW! Something is not right here. Put up target...3 shots...all are 4 inches to the left!? The gun has been put up since last season...how can the sights be off? No idea, but it is off. Re-adjust...shoot...back on bull.
    Last edited by Wascilly Wabbit; 07-07-2017 at 06:55 PM.

7/7 Same rabbit in backyard. 35 yards. Kill. He came back to the same spot 3 times.

3 Kills, 7 shots...not going to make it as a rabbit sniper any time soon...however the gun was knocked out of sight somehow for 3 of these shots. I'd put my real stats at 3 of 4 with a properly sighted gun.

Remember next year to re-sight after gun has been stored.

Note: HW90 has killed instantly every rabbit it struck. 2 of the rabbits just fell over in place...one moved a tiny bit. All kicked maybe twice, but I put that down to automatic response. My goal was no suffering and the HW90 (.22) does exactly that; these are medium sized rabbit.
    Last edited by Wascilly Wabbit; 07-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.

So when is dinner???

Always a good idea to check zero and exercise the seals with a few test shots after storage. 3/7 at up to 35 yeads and iron sights isn't too shabby.

In a galaxy far far away (Illinois - the land of no-shoot-em) I had a bunny infestation. Eating wife's posies. Used an old Benjamin - Sheridan pump-up the bedroom window. 27 bunnies later, Nature Jenny next door remarked on how active the resident hawk had been on the bunnies. Never told her the hawk's name was Dave.

HAVE FUN AND HASENPFEFER.
    Dave Thomas

Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

Unfortunately I'm not eating them, treating them as pests like a prairie dog. We live on a steep hill and they are destroying it slowly. My goal is to keep their population as low as I can.

They aren't going to go extinct here any time soon. :|

A funny story about pest control and extinction. I live 3 miles from the only urban national park (Cuyahoga Valley). When they established the park about 25 years ago, the song and game bird population was minimal but the feral cat population was huge. A friend (Nature Jenny-type) helped research the solution. RELEASE coyotes into the park. A few years later, the bird population was up. the cat population was down, the coyote population was booming... Simultaneously, the deer and wild turkey population are doing just fine....

This year, the domestic cat and small dog population (the ones who run loose) is going down while the sign "Please help me find Rover/Tabby etc." is up and coyote song fests are up. The is a correlation in there somewhere.

As a dog owner who never lets his dog run free in the neighborhood, I am not too sympathetic with those who lose theirs.

Uncorrelated but related, I had a dachshund killed in my back yard by one of those free-runners (husky!) This was years ago. i carried a 357 on my walks for months in hopes of finding the perpetrator but never did....

Rabbit is good to eat but you have to be cautious about parasites so just as well to leave them lay and feed the raccoons.

Dave
    Dave Thomas

Shoot safe. shoot straight, have fun
    Teach a kid to shoot

RWS54, 4.5mm, RWS 4-12x50CI
    FWB300SU, 4.5mm, Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32

Don't think I'd eat a wild rabbit at this time of year. RC

Quote Originally Posted by dtdtdtdt View Post
    A funny story about pest control and extinction. I live 3 miles from the only urban national park (Cuyahoga Valley). When they established the park about 25 years ago, the song and game bird population was minimal but the feral cat population was huge. A friend (Nature Jenny-type) helped research the solution. RELEASE coyotes into the park. A few years later, the bird population was up. the cat population was down, the coyote population was booming... Simultaneously, the deer and wild turkey population are doing just fine....

Dave
    Yeah, every time they experiment with stuff like this by introducing some new predator in the food chain, another unexpected thing happens. Maybe they need to release Bengal Tigers to get rid of the coyotes now.

The 3 rabbits I've removed since I got the HW90 have been too small to make it worthwhile eating, and I'm glad to get them before they have the ability to pump out 6 more copies.

More strategically I'm building a fence around the property instead of just the back yard; this will allow my dogs to run a larger perimeter around the house--instead of 1/16th of an acre they can now run 1.25 acres. The fence had a way of allowing the bunnies to thrive just outside the fence, which is just outside the house. Now they'll be pushed back quite a way from the house, as my dogs love rabbits, but couldn't effectively get to them. It's going to cost an arm and a leg, though.

Well I do know, gas or spring, will have different POI's depending on the hold. Resting the foreshock on your palm on a window sill is not the dame as a prone position or aside a tree and such. I recall how my POI would shift left or right with my R1 depending which side of the tree I set up against.

Ill bet its just a hold sensitivety thing. Such is learning the gun.

Doc