Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW90 Diaries

Default HW90 Diaries

6-22-2016 Weihrauch HW90 ordered from SS.

Default Re: HW90 Diaries

7-05-2016 Weihrauch HW90 arrived from SS.

Took some shots, changed front sight.

7-12-2016 Took many more shots, got within 1" on paper at 25 yards. Pellet choice is Beeman FTS

7-13-2016 Rabbit killed. 5 yards

Hit right behind the ear...didn't move from that spot, but kicked back feet for about 10 seconds and was still. It's a juvenile, between baby and adult size. Saw it from the balcony and shot directly down at it, probably 12 feet away. Used the FTS and was worried it would be too high but it was killing accurate.

1 for 1 with the HW90
    Last edited by Wascilly Wabbit; 08-16-2016 at 11:05 PM.

8-10-2016 Missed Rabbit. 10 yards.

Saw the rabbit from the back deck underneath, it ran around the west side of the house. Went downstairs and got the HW90, cocked and loaded it. Went to front side of house and peeked around the corner and it was sitting right there facing me. I *leaned* left and took the shot right away, a miss. Was still breathing hard from moving so fast and I should not have leaned like that which causes canting. Also I took the shot too soon, when I acquired the target under the sights.

My best shots come when I don't take the first shot when I see the sights in the right spot, but actually reset my breath, remember to squeeze the trigger after re-acquiring the sight picture. Best shots seem to come from when I am not actually sure when the trigger will break, i.e. I squeeze gently enough that the trigger goes off at a random time, rather than forcing "when".

Another thing...after acquiring a sight picture when I've been holding my breath a long time, I feel that I try to "rush" myself into the shot because I don't want to reset my breath and re-acquire the target; this is a mistake...rolling the dice. I should never let myself be rushed by my lack of breath.

Thinking back the best thing to do would have been to sit down right where I was, to gain more support, and re-acquire the target, etc.

1 for 2 with the HW90.
    Last edited by Wascilly Wabbit; 08-16-2016 at 11:16 PM.

8-15-2016 Killed Rabbit. 35 yards.

Maybe one of the best shots of my life, especially at 45 years of age with open sights. Saw the rabbit from the back porch in a new place far to the SW of the property, in the front yard. He was hard to see, because he was in a browning patch of grass and he was brown. Went downstairs got HW90, cocked and loaded it, went to front porch. He was still there, but in an odd position. His body was rotated pointing at 11 O'clock. I could not see the rabbits face...in fact I could only see the brown blob, outline of his body. I guessed where his head *should* be and sure enough the HW90 shot like a laser, there was a loud report from the pellet hitting the rabbit, my wife said it sounded like I shot the fence! The rabbit simply slumped and rolled over, kicked one time--literally turned off like a light switch--I've never hit an animal where it was dead instantly like that with a pellet rifle. .22 sure, but never a pellet rifle. It was dead before it hit the ground as they say.

I was stunned not only by the accuracy of the shot, but the flat trajectory of the HW90 and its ability to hit really hard at 35 yards. Now the shot was rested on the porch rail, but when I had people come to view the rabbit from the porch they could hardly see it; that was an amazing thing without a scope and I go over and over in my mind and impress myself a little over that one. I remember thinking "no way you are going to hit this rabbit in the head" just as I fired. The HW90 was crisp and *strong* at 35 yards.

One thing on shooting I've noticed and maybe others can corroborate this: If you have a smaller target to hit, the shot is usually right on...but if you have a big target to hit its easier to miss! This rabbit was SMALL, and facing away from me and there was only a small margin of error here, and that's exactly the spot I hit. For some reason if I have a rabbit and its giving me a full body and head to shoot at I seem to do a worse job. I've told this story before where as a 16 year old we were spotlighting rabbits in Texas, and using the light my only target was a shiny eye...and damned if I didn't hit the rabbit in the eye hole.

I prefer a tiny target to hit any day over a broad target.

2 for 3 with the HW90.
    Last edited by Wascilly Wabbit; 08-16-2016 at 11:19 PM.

What's your overall impression of your Rifle now WW ?
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

Precision machine for sure, with plenty of muscle...capable of far more than most can extract from it, including myself. Classic beauty too with open sights and the nice brown stock.

I'll never forget that very distinct feeling of awe it produced, how fast it got down range--how accurately and how hard it hit on that last rabbit.

Had my neighbor over who was an Army Ranger, and he took a shot with it...he must have been expecting a typical pellet rifle: "Thunk........tang." When he felt the recoil and heard how fast it hit the target he turned his head quickly and looked at me with his eyes open real big: "Thwap--pamp."

Quote Originally Posted by Wascilly Wabbit View Post
    Precision machine for sure, with plenty of muscle...capable of far more than most can extract from it, including myself. Classic beauty too with open sights and the nice brown stock.

I'll never forget that very distinct feeling of awe it produced, how fast it got down range--how accurately and how hard it hit on that last rabbit.

Had my neighbor over who was an Army Ranger, and he took a shot with it...he must have been expecting a typical pellet rifle: "Thunk........tang." When he felt the recoil and heard how fast it hit the target he turned his head quickly and looked at me with his eyes open real big: "Thwap--pamp."
    Cool :-)
    The Ole phrase " this ain't ain't you Granddad's Daisey 29 is it now " ....LoL
    Sent a good friend a Beeman Kodiak as a gift , he had NO IDEA how powerful Air Rifles are , but he do now :-)
    He was quite proud to send his first shot picture of a Shasta Cola can hit . He was very impressed .
    Now he's hooked !
    Cheers , thanks for the Report , just glad you love it .
    Good Day , Kelly
    KB CUSTOM-Gunsmith

7/23 Rabbit in backyard. 35 yards. Miss