Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R9 Versatility

PrunedaleMike Guest

Default R9 Versatility

Here's one open for good discussion.

We all know how the Hw95/R9 has the reputation for being a very versatile tool. There have been hundreds of threads that have discussed the "best" caliber in the R9. Now this is where it gets fun, how many shooters switch from one caliber to

another then back again with the same gun depending on the present use?

PM

Vulcanator Guest

Default Re: R9 Versatility

Wish mine was a .22.

PrunedaleMike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
    Wish mine was a .22.
    That's easy enough to do. Go for it.

PM

xposo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PrunedaleMike View Post
    Here's one open for good discussion.

We all know how the Hw95/R9 has the reputation for being a very versatile tool. There have been hundreds of threads that have discussed the "best" caliber in the R9. Now this is where it gets fun, how many shooters switch from one caliber to

another then back again with the same gun depending on the present use?

PM
    Me.
    Fortunately, I have one in .177 and .22 calibers, so switching between them is as easy as grabbing the other rifle.
    I'm glad that I bought one of each because there are times when a .177 doesn't have quite enough umph like the .22 does.
    And then there are times when a .22 is over kill, but hey, if you shot something with either caliber it's going to be dead anyway right?

PrunedaleMike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xposo View Post
    Me.
    Fortunately, I have one in .177 and .22 calibers, so switching between them is as easy as grabbing the other rifle.
    I'm glad that I bought one of each because there are times when a .177 doesn't have quite enough umph like the .22 does.
    And then there are times when a .22 is over kill, but hey, if you shot something with either caliber it's going to be dead anyway right?
    You bet! Have you tried the .20?

Mine is a smacker!

PM
    Last edited by PrunedaleMike; 02-16-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Ed Ennis Guest

I too have the set - .177 and .20. I enjoy shooting both calibers and am planning to add the .22 to my herd. Both are deadly accurate but I tend to lean toward the .20 cal when shooting regularly.

Parallax Guest

I have em' both. I keep the .20 in it open-sighted for when I want to simply practice with open sights or take out a bugger under 35 yrds or so. I pick up the Vortek-tuned .22 R9 for a bit longer distances because it's scoped with the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR with mil-dots and I can not only shoot with more precision because it's scoped, but I can use the mild-dots to stretch its legs way out there to 80 yrds and I like the way .22 carries more energy to the target at longer distances and handles the wind a little better.

Ambush Hunter Guest

Perhaps we should ask TV

Here are mine 2 cents worth. Since I own .22 R1, I have no use for .22 R9. Besides, it seems as .22 R9 in stock form is a bit underpowered which means it will have to be tuned, Vorteked, or both. Then it is the Bomb. I used to have R9 in .177 and always wished I had a .20 version. My hunch was right on the money. This is the "best" hunting springer the money can buy.

.20 R9 on the other hand is great in stock form, tuned, or/and Vorteked. If I ever get rid of all of my springers, .20 R9 will stay to fill the power gap between PCPs. As far as ergonomics, power, weight, length, accuracy, after-market support, and resale value, an R9 is hard to beat... One heckava do-it-all springer!
    Last edited by Ambush Hunter; 02-17-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Parallax Guest

I use to think the R9 was too underpowered in stock form for the .22 caliber too Ambush, but it really isn't once you actually shoot one and compare the true chrony numbers and compare the trajectory side by side on targets in the field. While both were in stock form, my R9 .22 put out more power than my R9 .20(over 1 FPE more before any tunes or mods).

The absolute most accurate pellet for my R9 .20 was the 13.73g JSB which only does 685 fps in stock form(had the slight edge in accuracy over the much looser-fitting 11.42g FTS. If I go through the trouble of weighing and sorting the FTS's, I can get them them similar in accuracy, but the JSB's are their right out of the box). The most accurate pellet in my R9 .22 when it was in stock form was the 14.66g FTS, which also did 685 fps. Same velocity and same trajectory when I shot and compared them both out to 80+ yrds. Only the .22 was a larger, heavier round that bucked the wind better, smacked harder and left larger holes in squirrels.

I think it comes down to efficiency, ie; the same swept volume of air pushing a projectile through a smaller hole(and loosing energy in the process), vs pushing that volume of air through a larger hole on a larger projectile, thus creating a more efficient use of energy.

It's funny but you see this become much MORE evident as you move up to more powerful rifles, such as with the RX and Diana magnums. Every review i've ever read on a Diana 54, 48, 350, 460 that's had a LW .20 cal barrel installed, they all shot with the same velocity as their bigger .22 caliber counterparts(hence, they were less efficient because they put out lower fpe of course because of shooting the same velocity with a lighter, smaller projectile).

The one time where I REALLY like .20 caliber in a rifle, is if the rifle prefers the lighter 11.42g FTS, due to their much lighter weight than the other most likely .20 cal pellets(such as JSB's, CP's, Kodiaks, etc..). But it's a crap-shoot. What if your barrel doesn't prefer the 11.42g FTS over the others because they tend to fit loose(I really wish H&N would make multiple head sizes in their .20 cal like they do with their .177 and .22's.... ) After chronying and shooting all these rifles, it seems to be the only time when .20 caliber makes sense over the .22, because that FTS pellet is so much lighter and hence, shoots with significantly higher enough velocity to make it actually shoot "flatter" and with similar high energy.

Ambush Hunter Guest

I understand, P, can't argue with that...but Vorteked .20 R9 is a 17 FPE thumper. No joke for a varmint springer. I believe TV's R9 shoots Predators really well...