Thread: Hw80 .22 cal. or .20 cal. What do you think?

PrunedaleMike Guest

Default Hw80 .22 cal. or .20 cal. What do you think?

Hw80's are great guns, I think we all can agree with that statement. But how about the performance of the .20 cal. vs the .22 cal. model?

I own a great shooting .22 cal Hw80k/ V-Mach and have always been curious what would happen if I went to a .20 cal. barrel. Would the Hw80 be to much gun for the smaller caliber?

Any thoughts?

PM

Default Re: Hw80 .22 cal. or .20 cal. What do you think?

PruneDale Mike
    With rare exceptions, if a caliber has Beeman FTS/HN Field Target Trophys, Beeman Kodiaks/HN Baracudas, JSB Exacts and Crosman Premiers available then there is little or no difference in grouping at all between .20 and .22. Most guns like one of those 4 pellets and shoot them as well in one caliber as they do in another caliber. Although I'm not sure you'd gain or lose much of anything by switching to a .20 caliber. The results, if hunting or doing pest control will be the same unless it's just curiosity driving the idea.
    Kevin
    straightshooters.com

scott_HW97 Guest

I took my R1 from .17 to .20. I ordered the barell and made the change myself. There was no difference in accuracy at all. There was little change in fpe either. I basically wanted a shorter barrel, so I went from a .17 full length to a .20 K. I like the weight change and have no regrets, but as far as accuracy or taking game there is no difference between .17 & .20 IMHO. I know this does no specifically address your question but hopefully it helps.

Ambush Hunter Guest

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with .20 R1, a wiser choice would be R1 in .22. You get an excellent selection of high quality pellets, greater energy output, and smoother shot cycle. Also keep in mind that .22 R1s respond better to uptunes/power upgrades than .20 and .177 R1s. Paul Watts who knows these rifles better than anyone on the planet can confirm this statement. His tunes put .22 R1 in a 20 FPE category, btw. Vortek's tunes and kits will get you 22+ FPE.

All in all, you can't go wrong with either one. If you hunt, the game you shoot won't tell the difference.

ken moran Guest

Maybe consider the availability of good pellets, here the .20's are not on every shelf and few to choose from if they are.

Parallax Guest

HW80/R1 in .22 caliber, all the way!

Ed Ennis Guest

I have the R1 .177, HW80 .20, and the HW80 .22. Of the three, the R1 .177, and the HW80 .22 were the easiest to shoot accurately right from the start because I got lucky and the pellet I started shooting through them was the pellet of best performance. There is nothing wrong with the HW80 .20. Once I found the pellet that worked best, accuracy immediately improved.

Of these three calibers I own, the HW80 .22 wins hands down. It is unbelievably easy to shoot and delivers shot after shot. The shot cycle is so smooth that it is hard to believe that it is not tuned. Happy Shooting!!

skiezo Guest

Just for a comparison:
    My R1 in .20 is shooting FTS 11.7 @ 890fps and 20.6fpe after John Thomas did his magic and installed a vortek kit.
    Before the the tune and kit in stock form it was doing 785fps @ 16fpe with FTS 11.7gr.
    Kodiaks 13.3gr are doing 825fps @ 19.9fpe after the kit and tune. The heavier kodiak's are also shooting 1/2" or so 5 shot groups @ 15 yards.
    Last edited by skiezo; 01-08-2012 at 04:34 PM.

scott_HW97 Guest

My R1 (now converted to a .20 and a "K" model) does about 17 fpe. With the new shorter barrel it is for what ever reason more accurate than it ever was in 17 cal.